It requires some imagination to envision the once-quieter place where the Shimer Mansion rose in 1850, although it was far from remote. Built on a bluff overlooking the well-traveled Easton-Brunswick turnpike, the house was the centerpiece for a 120-acre rural estate about a half-mile east of Morris Canal Lock 10 in the Green’s Bridge section of Phillipsburg. As it followed the Lopatcong Creek out of town, the canal was likely visible from the third story of the stylish Italianate residence, built by banker and gentleman farmer William B. Shimer. 150 years later the historic house stood abandoned until the Pohatcong History and Heritage Society took on stewardship through a generous donation by the Carpenter Family in 2015. The group is working to restore the property as a community center and gallery for local artists.